Translation in process
We're updating the page. There might be some translation errors. Sorry about that ;-)
- Philine aperta
- offene Seemandel oder offene Blasenschnecke
- Lobe Shell Or Sand Slug
- Family tree:
- Animalia (Kingdom) > Mollusca (Phylum) > Gastropoda (Class) > Cephalaspidea (Order) > Philinidae (Family) > Philine (Genus) > aperta (Species)
- Initial determination:
- (Linnaeus, ), 1767
- Adria, Atlanderhavet, Øst, Filippinene, Middelhavet, Syd-Afrika
- Sea depth:
- bis zu 7cm
- 23°C - 27°C
- For-Spesialist, Muslinger
- Not suitable for home aquaria!
- Not evaluated
- Related species at
Catalog of Life:
- Meerwasser-Lexikon Team
- 2013-08-20 19:28:48
- 2020-01-22 14:34:36
Philine aperta (Linnaeus, 1767)
The body is four-lobed and whitish to pale yellow in colour with white dots. This species characteristically secretes sulphuric acid as a defence against predators.
Species of Philine feed on bivalves which they crush with three calcareous gizzard plates.
Atlantic coast of Europe,Africa and Mediterranean. Records from outside this area probably incorrectly identified.
Classification: Biota > Animalia (Kingdom) > Mollusca (Phylum) > Gastropoda (Class) > Heterobranchia (Subclass) > Opisthobranchia (Infraclass) > Cephalaspidea (Order) > Philinoidea (Superfamily) > Philinidae (Family) > Philine (Genus)
Husbandry know-how of owners
0 husbandary tips from our users available